Snorkeling over the shallow reefs of the islands is an ideal way to explore the underwater world. The house reefs of most of the islands are just a few strokes away from the beach. Even if the reef are quite shallow and one may simply walk up to the reef to enjoy its beauty. Snorkeling equipment is available at all the resorts. Some organize regular snorkeling excursions to give visitors a chance to experience the diversity of marine life and reef structures in the Maldives.
- Choose a mask that fits snugly.
- Test this by putting it to your face without using the strap and breathe in through the nose. If it fits properly it will not fall off, even when you lean forward.
- Choose a pair of fins that fit your feet comfortably and a snorkel that fits easily in to your mouth.
- Get advise on the best snorkeling spots and how to reach them.
- Find out the potential problems such as waves, currents and difficult entries and exits.
- Wear a t-shirt to protect yourself from the sun and a waterproof sunscreen on exposed areas of your skin such as the neck and the back of your knees.
- And finally, do not walk or step on the corals, to protect yourself and the corals from injury and damage.